What is Emergency Lighting? Why do we need it?
Emergency lighting is essential infrastructure for any building to ensure occupant safety.
In the case of an “emergency”, these lights play a significant role for safety. Even if the building’s power is out, emergency lights illuminate utilising batteries to visually indicate safe passage out for building occupants. That is why the fire and safety law regulates the proper management and function of emergency lighting.
Emergency Lighting is required to meet the Australian standards set out in AS/NZS 2293 Parts 1, 2 and 3. These standards outline the design, installation, maintenance and product requirements of emergency lighting systems required in all commercial premises. Emergency Lightings must be tested, maintained and compliant as set out in AS/NZS 2293 standard, failure to comply can result in a penalty and puts building occupants safety at risk.
YES. They consume a lot of electricity. YES. They require a tremendous amount of effort and money to maintain.
What does Emergency Lighting look like?
Emergency Lights come in a variety of shapes and sizes to suit their environment and application. Here are some of the common Emergency Lighting form factors:
- Exit lights are strategically placed in buildings to clearly indicate exits
- Batten lights are typically used in locations such as fire stairs or car parks
- Oyster lights are commonly used in corridors or common areas
- Spitfires are compact in design and are used in areas where aesthetics are of importance
What is EMIoT?
Emergency lights Internet of Things (EMIoT) is a holistic emergency lights management system provided by WBS Technology. EMIoT embeds emergency lighting with EMIoT modules to develop a scalable and stable network that leverages pre-existing infrastructure to reduce costs. Our EMIoT technology offers a management system designed to provide peace of mind. The main benefits are:
- Peace of mind: EMIoT service performs all necessary maintenance, testing and compliance included in our affordable flat rate.
- No muss no fuss: With our technology, EMIoT requires no drilling or cabling, no additional equipment installed in the building.
- Smart building: All emergency lights are monitored and controlled via our cloud platform to allow for transparent and real-time status reports.
- Smarter building: EMIoT opens the IoT network to any device in your building (e.g., smoke alarm, CO2 sensor) so your building becomes smarter.
- We will come back with more great news about EMIoT and how WBS Technology makes it happen.
Learn More About EMIoT here